A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Madeisky at your initial dental visit. The exam will include the following:
Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
Oral cancer screening: Check lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
Professional Dental Cleaning
If your exam shows that you do not have active periodontal disease then a professional dental cleaning will be scheduled. There are two basic types of professional dental cleanings, at your check up we will reccomend the appropriate cleaning for you.
1) dental prophylaxis or Prophy - is usually performed for children and young adults and is focused above the gum line.
2) periodontal maintainance - is often the treatment of choice for adults, it is focused on removing all deposits above and below the gum line and the root surfaces.
These sevices are performed by a Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.